Cream of Morel
It's official! I am a Hobbit! I am short, like to have a jolly good time, and love mushrooms.
This is my own recipe, I made it, and it is delicious!
I used to not like mushrooms. Or rather, I never ate them because all the kids stories said that mushrooms were gross, to be categorized with Brussels sprouts. Boy were they wrong! Both mushrooms and Brussels sprouts are amazing good, if you cook 'em right. :)
Morchella themselves are amazing to learn about. They like to grow a year after a forest fire. Last year there was a big forest fire in our area, and now people are popping up all over the place hunting for them. We got these Morchella from the Farmer's Market.
If you want to look up Morel, here is a Wikipedia page link. Look them up, it is super interesting, and I highly recommend reading about them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morchella#Ecology.2C_phenology_and_distribution
1. Soak the morel in salt water for 15 minutes.
2. After 15 minutes, drain the water and pat them dry with a towel.
3. Cut them in half.
4. Fry them in 2 tbsp. olive oil and 2 tbsp. butter.
5. Take the Morchella out, and place in a bowl with paper towel on the bottom. Leave the butter and oil in the pan, you'll need it later.
Don't worry, I did not burn them. My camera just didn't want to do the lighting properly.
6. Make a brown roux. To make a brown roux brown 2 tbsp. of butter until butter is a golden brown with little brown flakes in it. Then whisk in 2 tbsp. of white flour.
7. Pour 2 cups of heavy cream into the roux. Keep stirring until it boils. If it a little thick pour a dash more cream until you get it thick enough to stick on pasta. If it is too think add a little more flour, but not too much.
8. Pour roux into the frying pan with the mushroom butter. Stir until it is all mixed. Then add the Morchella into the sauce. Let warm up while you make the pasta.
9. Make the pasta, making sure you cook them to just past al dente.
10. Heap a generous amount of the sauce and Morchella onto your pasta. Serve with chicken if you want more protein in your meal. Bon Appetite!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Hi, I'm Kayla. I have red hair and freckles. I love God, kittens, coffee, reading, and Disney. :)